Zentangle Floral Wreath Art Class for Kids
Discover the beauty of botanical illustration with this nature drawing class that combines Zentangle patterns, colored pencil techniques, and black & white shading. Learn to draw a stunning wreath filled with flowers, leaves, and berries. This class is geared towards kids, ages 11 – 16. I offer an adult version of the wreath project through my studio technique classes.
This flexible schedule class runs for four weeks. The first two weeks of the class focus on the Zentangle patterns, black & white shading techniques and building color pencils skills. The second half of the class focuses on composition, Zentangle pattern grafting, and pattern interaction. This class is suitable for beginning artists and tanglers – I will cover all foundational information necessary to complete the wreath, including The Zentangle Method®, highlight and lowlights, shadows, and more. More advanced artists will be able to explore these ideas more deeply as their abilities and prior knowledge allows.
Supplies for the Zentangle Floral Wreath Class
In order to participate in this course, students will need:
- High quality colored pencils, such as Prismacolor, including a white pencil
- White mix media paper (minimum 98lb/160g)
- A black fine tipped ink pen (such as a .01 or .02 Micron)
- A soft sketch pencil (2B or HB)
- An eraser, preferably sand eraser for colored pencils and ink
- A blending stump or tortillon
- Optional – Colorless blender pencil
All material is taught asynchronously through an Outschool Flex Class. Flex classes are extremely flexible for busy schedules. There are no live classes. Instead, students receive weekly video lessons and assignments through the Outschool classroom that they complete during the week according to their own schedule. Students are also able to interact with me and the other students through the classroom.
Upcoming Classes & Registration
Upcoming sessions start the week of:
- January 15th
- Feburary 5th
- March 4th
- April 1st
- May 6th
- May 27th
- June 24th
Check Out Similar Classes
- Zentangle Fantasy Undersea Landscape Class for Kids – Asynchronous class focusing nature-inspired tangles with an undersea twist & colored pencil technique.
- Watercolor & Zentangle Basics for Kids – Aynchronous class focusing on watercolor wash techniques. Includes a nature design.
- Weekly Zentangle Nature Art Class for Kids – Subscription-style class featuring a different nature-inspired theme each week.
The Outschool platform started as a small learning site geared towards homeschoolers. The pandemic saw an influx of students from traditional schooling backgrounds and Outschool responded. Now, it’s a popular platform that serves students world-wise with thousands of teachers and topics. Outschool provides a safe, inclusive space for all learners and has been a part of our family’s homeschool journey since 2017. I became a teacher there in 2020 when the pandemic forced me to close my in-person studio.